Tuesday, June 24, 2014

SQLite

Well, here I am working on Idea again.  It's been a long time, and I don't think it will be finished any time soon, but I at least want to get a simple version on its feet so I can play with it.  In my last post, I mentioned that I didn't know what database software to use, but that's behind me.  I'm using SQLite.  When I read up on it, I realized that it was exactly what I'd been looking for.

I'm working on the foundation of the software at the moment.  I have a decent idea how I want it to work, and it's coming along nicely.  I've got the database pretty much designed, and now I'm implementing it.  The problem is that SQLite's version of SQL leaves out some handy features.  For example, you can't drop or modify columns once they're in place.  Instead, the way to do that is to copy the data into a temporary table, drop the table, recreate it with the changes, and copy the data back in.  It sounds like it would make more sense to just create one new table, copy the data over, drop the original and rename the new one, but that would actually mess things up.  In other words, it's a bit inconvenient.  However, I'm going to make it work, and I'm excited.

SQLite is the absolute perfect solution to the issues I had with Idea's design.  It's no longer impractical and really hard to manage.  I could go on and on why this solves all of my life's problems, but I won't.  Just know that this makes my life soooooo much easier.  Basically, once I have this part developed (which will be soon), then I can start experimenting and having fun.

Anyway, gotta go.  I hope to keep this updated as I continue to build it.  Thanks for reading!

clevceo

No comments: